Tuesday, November 8, 2016

If I Were a Lobbyist for the Bail Agents

If I were a lobbyist for the insurance companies, I’d do exactly what ABC is doing. I’d fight everything, because every alternative but the status quo means the insurance companies lose money. If I were the lobbyist for the bail agents, though, I’d be helping them say to various officials, “Hey, we helped America with pretrial release back in the late 1800s, and we can help now. It may mean that we have to change a few things, but we’re willing to do it.”

If you keep arguing to keep the status quo, pretty soon people will shine a light on it, and you’ll end up with a story like this. And, frankly, there’s a bad news story like this waiting to be told in every state. It’s just a matter of looking for it. 


You’re watching your businesses die, but it’s only because the people running the overall strategy are insurance companies and short-sighted bail bond companies like the one in the article.