Monday, March 9, 2020

The Biggest Issue in Bail Today

I almost forgot to link to this document titled, "The Single Biggest Issue in American Bail Reform Today," which is on my website here.

I'm pretty sure that very few people even understand it yet, or they wouldn't be talking so much about distractions like actuarial pretrial assessment tools.

Right now on my desk, I have five different drafts of changes to various state constitutional bail provisions that would dramatically change who is released and detained pretrial in America. Most of the them are pretty horrible, and no American should stand for them. I'm knocking down the ones I can knock down, but it's getting pretty lonely, and I think other states are doing it without me even knowing about them.

Don't you think people should look into this? Learn about this? Help with this?

Anyone out there?